All the Fall Dark Lips You Could Ever Need
As much as I love makeup, I don’t wear a whole lot of it. I love a routine and I stick with what I know. If it weren’t for the addictive quality of Sephora (seriously what’s in the air over there?), I would never vary my product stash. That being said, there’s one particular product I tend to go a bit overboard with…berry toned lipsticks. Maybe it’s just me, but a very large portion of why I love colder weather so much is that I live for dark lips. Matte, glossy, liquid, stick, balm, I really couldn’t care less. If it comes in a smooth formula and has the richest purple-red hue, I’m in. (Also, an FYI, my rankings don’t make any sense, it’s just the order I thought of them in)
Below I’ve rounded up my top 10 (I told you I was obsessed) dark lips that are perfect to carry you through fall and winter. Are you ready? It’s getting vampy in here.
We’ll start with the purples:
- Dior Rouge Dior Liquid in 901: Dior always has a way of stealing my heart in one way or another and this time it’s with the perfect Oxblood shade. The perfect matte purple with the subtlest undertones of red, this lipstick can do no wrong in my book. The only con I have is that it is a very liquid-y formula, so it may take an extra coat or two to build up the perfect coverage.
- NARS Audacious in Bette: I don’t tend to go for lipsticks that aren’t of the liquid variety, but this one is so good I couldn’t resist. The NARS Audacious Lipsticks are full coverage, long-lasting, and nourishing. Bette is the perfect dark red with brown undertones. The color is smooth with a slightly creamy finish and there is no feathering in sight.
- Charlotte Tilbury Matte Revolution Lipstick in Glastonberry: Truthfully could not have a fall lipstick edit without this one. I’ve called a lot of lipsticks perfect in my day, but with this one I actually mean it. This is the ultimate purple. The perfect mix of red undertones and a matte berry finish. This lipstick is closest a bullet formula has come to matching the Maybelline Inks in my book.
- Revlon Ulta HD Matte Lipcolor in Infatuation: The Revlon HD Mattes range contains one of the best drugstore purples I’ve ever tried. Infatuation is a great creamy purple for those on a budget. The red undertones keep it from being too vampy for day wear. This formula takes a little longer to dry and you’ll definitely have to reapply after you eat, but I promise it’s worth it.
- Tarteist Quick Dry Matte Lip Paint in Vibin: Another formula whose staying power blew me away. The quick dry application means this color goes on with near-perfect pigmentation and stays throughout anything your day may throw at you. A wonderful red wine shade with a bit of brown undertones means that this shade is the perfect compliment to everything fall related.
Let’s move to the reds:
- MAC Powder Kiss Lipstick in Devoted to Chili: Finally a lipstick that’s not purple. I know I’m sorry, I just have such a type. Devoted to Chili is a great brick red that is rich and smooth all in one go. I will say that this formula is slightly drying, but the shade is so great I just ignore it. The staying power is okay, as long as you don’t mind having to reapply every few hours. Still one of my favorites despite the flaws.
- Maybelline SuperStay Matte Ink Liquid Lip in Protector: One of my all-time favorite liquid lip formulas is this one. Drink proof, food proof, kiss proof, you name it. This lipstick lasts through everything. I have to plan to wear it for at least two days, it’s staying power is that strong. The color is rich and smooth and the feathering is little to none (!!).
- TOM FORD Lip Color in After Dark: This lipstick self describes as “a high-pigment, satin lipstick with the power to define a woman’s whole look” and I could not agree more. The perfect rusty brown with an almost matte finish, this lipstick is the finishing touch for almost any look.
- Maybelline SuperStay Matte Ink Liquid Lip in Ruler: Yet another SuperStay Ink, but for very good reason. I have yet to find a high-end liquid lip that has the staying power this formula has. This time, we’re looking at the shade Ruler. I much more toned down shade, more of a mauve or a light berry/pink, this shade is great for the daytime.
- Urban Decay Vice Lipstick in Hex: I love the witchy name, I love this formula, I love this shade. Urban Decay is typically known for their eyeshadows (RIP Naked 1), but their lip colors deserve equal amounts of praise. Hex is described as a rich red wine. With a smooth formula with fantastic pigmentation, this jumps to the top of my list despite being placed at number nine.
What’s your favorite way to rock a dark lip? Let me know in the comments! x
Feature image by Makeup Slaves on Instagram.